> The Lounge     Printing     STARTT How much power does the Startt printer use (max)?
How much power does the Startt printer use (max)?
 STARTT   Started by Graham3D   2018-02-05 15:03:16 +00:00   Comments: 6    Viewed: 472

1. Graham3D
    Graham3D Member London
    Hi
    1: I am having trouble with the PSU that was supplied with the Startt printer.

Are there any technical specifications that specify how much power it uses when it is running full tilt?
    i.e. with all the stepper motors and the heating element running.

2: Can I get a heated bed for the Startt Printer?

3: I have tried printing direct through the USB connection. But I cannot get it to print. How do I sort this?
    Thanks
    G
    Graham3D, 2018-02-05 15:03:16 +00:00
  2. Nick James
    Nick James Member
    The way to go is probably a switching power supply, you'll have 10A/50W or more to play with (the standard supply was 5A which has been updated in recent releases) but it isn't going to get hot and you won't have any voltage slumps that will let the hot parts run too cool with high demands.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZRIX96/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2LTGD1P3EJO5C&colid=3B93RO729YT9L&psc=1 is the kind of thing you'd be looking for.

Heated beds, again see amazon, ebay or numerous other places. Just match by physical dimensions and it should be fine.

USB seems to be a real problem, it appears to be a driver issue. Hibernation or the PC going to 'sleep' will kill it so you have to ensure that the port is kept alive, power saving measures (for that port) off and ideally live desktop at all times etc. No real help but the linux version does work
    Nick James, 2018-02-07 22:30:24 +00:00

3. I have a STARTT on order. Should mine ship with the newer supply? Is it a 10A? I was thinking about ordering ahead the one you have listed in the link, but I don't want to get something that I don't need.
    Scott Griswold, 2018-02-11 00:17:18 +00:00
  4. Nick James
    Nick James Member
    Just looked, mine is still boxed and was delivered in December last year and it has a 5A supply. That I find amusing as this laptops PSU is a 12V 10A !!
    Anyone got a more recent release printer kit or beefier PSU??
    Nick James, 2018-02-11 15:41:18 +00:00
  5. How many watts does the STARTT printer use? I've tried to print PETG with it, but for some reason, the printer has trouble heating up to 240 degrees Celsius. When it heats up to 240 degrees and starts the print, a few minutes later the extruder temperature is decoupled and it stops extruding while printing. I believe this is because the STARTT power supply can't provide enough wattage to maintain that high of a temperature. Does anyone know how much wattage the STARTT uses in total? Since the power supply is 12V and 5A, the power supply can give 60 W at maximum. If heating the extruder to 240 degrees requires more watts than this than maybe I need a beefier power supply. Any leads on the total wattage of the printer?
    Yadunandan Vijayaraman, 2018-11-24 16:15:03 +00:00
  6. Nick James
    Nick James Member
    Hi
    I have a generic AC 240V To DC 12V 10A(120W) Switching Power Supply
    It is in terms of available power a big step up from the supplied unit and the output is going to be more stable when under load which is what you want for a stable extruder temperature. There is also more than enough overhead to add a heated bed.
    The load will be fluctuating, the hot end should be a stable load but the steppers and the frequency of movement steps will add to that. The PSU will manage short bursts at it's highest load capacity but definitely start dropping voltage which will make a big difference to the hot end stability and as you've found likely be enough stop it working. I'd have thought that PTEG would benefit from a heated bed that'll need more power..
    I must admit that my Startt is now a backup to an Ender 3, I needed a bigger build area and in terms of value for money the 3 is very good. This uses a very similar rated PSU to the one my startt has.
    Nick James, 2018-11-24 19:07:49 +00:00
  7. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Write your reason

Terms & Conditions!
Help!