> The Lounge     Printing     STARTT Melzi board and firmware
Melzi board and firmware
 STARTT   Started by Romeo Kalebic   2017-05-05 14:45:33 +01:00   Comments: 48    Viewed: 10153

1. Dear Startt friends

Somebody knows firmware version in printer?

What is microstepping value, and how to change it ?

Somebody has configuration.h file for firmware?

Best Regards, Romeo
    Romeo Kalebic, 2017-05-05 14:45:33 +01:00
  2. Repetier-0.91 is the firmware.
    Michael Fuselier, 2017-05-11 17:48:05 +01:00
  3. Hi there,

does anyone have an idea how to edit the firmware?
    Might the board be Arduino-based, so that I could use the Arduino-software to download the configuration from the board, edit it and upload the changed version?
    I ordered a heated bed for my startt, since the board does seem to support it, but it seems to be disabled in firmware.
    At least, when I connect the printer to repetier, the options for controlling the heatbed disappear.

I would like to change that, but do not want to brick the electronics.

I played around with a RAMPS-board for another project, so I have a little experience in Arduino.

Daniel Düsentrieb, 2017-06-03 22:16:53 +01:00
  4. Tomi Lämsä
    Tomi Lämsä Member
    I ran into the same issue with heated bed. Thought it was supported by default (like Colido DIY), but repetier defaults to no bed it seems.
    I just installed Timothy's modified Skynet3d 2.3.2. Removed the autoleveling and few other tweaks. Some bugs though like when it misses endstops occasionally. There's a propably a risk on bricking your board.

How did you fix the heated bed to the y carriage? I think you have the same 120x120mm mk2b from china? I couldn't find a good solution so i just cut and drilled some acrylic sheet... it took forever..;)
    Tomi Lämsä, 2017-06-05 09:38:05 +01:00
  5. Antonio Salotti Neto
    Antonio Salotti Neto Member Campinas, SP

Hi Daniel,
    I don't have any experience doing this, but I came across this page a few weeks ago while looking for what you've described: https://www.repetier.com/firmware/v091/
    It seems a more user-friendly approach to tweaking the configuration -- perhaps that would allow enabling the heated bed jumper.
    Looking forward to hear back from you if you get any success! Good luck!
    Antonio
    Antonio Salotti Neto, 2017-06-05 13:56:20 +01:00
  6. Hi Tomi,

Thanks for the hint about Skynet, I will have a look into that.

Actually I have not fixed the heatbed yet.

I think the easiest way would be just to drill some extra holes into the top acrylic plate so that the screws of the four edges of the heatbed fit into those.

I would insulate the bottom of the heatbed with some silica wool so that the acrylic does not get too warm and warp.
    That method would cost some z-height though.

A better way would be to replace the lower plate (the one those linear guide blocks are attached to) and fix the heatbed directly to that, so that the four screws of the heatbed are used for leveling with the springs in between.
    Lasering that piece would be a fine solution.

Daniel Düsentrieb, 2017-06-05 21:11:46 +01:00
  7. @Antonio,

thanks for that link, that would definitely be helpful.
    I polished up my Arduino experience in the meanwhile.
    It is not possible do download the configuration file from the board, as an Arduino program is compiled before it is uploaded to it.
    Some info can be imported from the EEPROM though, like steps per mm for the steppers.
    But I am more concerned about stuff like the display settings. It took me ages to get those right on an RAMPS board, without those, the display might stay blank.
    Also, you would have to find out other stuff, for example what kind of thermistor is used.

Since I would like to stay everything as it is and just want to activate the heatbed option, having the configuration.h file would be very helpful.

I sent a support request to imakr this evening and asked for it and got this reply within an hour:

Hi,

Thank you and we are glad you are happy with the Startt printer. We are currently talking to our manufacturer about the firmware and once we get it I will post it on the forum. 

Kind regards,

Jack

iMakr Support Team

So since I am away for a few days now anyway, I think I will wait if something comes up in the forum.
    Just uploading some sort of firmware I cobbled together by myself is to risky for me because I am afraid I could mess up the display or something.

Daniel Düsentrieb, 2017-06-05 21:29:08 +01:00
  8. Tim Morris
    Tim Morris Member
    I used the Repetier web configuration tool (https://www.repetier.com/firmware/v092/).

This is the config I'm currently using. You can upload it to the configuration tool and modify it for your own needs.

Tim Morris, 2017-06-15 16:09:30 +01:00
    Jack Keum likes this.
  9. Jack Keum
    Jack Keum Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Tim! ;)
    Jack Keum, 2017-06-15 16:27:07 +01:00

10. Thanks Tim! 

I've not flashed to the STARTT yet, would you be able to provide some directions on how to do that?
    Craig Wentworth, 2017-06-16 01:11:32 +01:00
  11. Tim Morris
    Tim Morris Member

Sure.

First, my settings a slightly non-standard. Make sure you adjust them for your printer. Check the x, y and z dimensions, extruder rate and uncheck the heat bed option if you don't have one. You can read your current settings from your printer's EEPROM.

I use Repetier-Host to read and edit the EEPROM settings on my printer. If you're new to this like me, It's worth doing some reading on how the EEPROM settings work and how to override them with your configuration.h settings. 

To upload the new firmware, follow the instructions here

Tim Morris, 2017-06-17 13:39:49 +01:00

12. Hi Tim

I read trough Yours configuration.h file, and I have some questions.

Are You sure about value for X, Y and Z steps per mm.
    They are so round (100,100, 1600) and what about microstepping which is usual 16 or 32.

You write that You read EEPROM settings. Can You share with us original values for X, Y and Z steps per mm.

Best Regards, Romeo
    Romeo Kalebic, 2017-06-17 14:53:21 +01:00
  13. Hi Tim, hi Romeo,

thanks for sharing your experiences.

@Romeo, Tim has the right EEPROM settings for motor-steps, in the picture you see what I get when I read out my original EEPROM-settings from the Startt with Repetier. From Repetier, you can also export that settings into a file for backup. I did that, find it attached.

@Tim: Did you use the current version of the Arduino IDE (1.8.3) or did you have to install the old version (1.0.5) that is described in the Github Repository? If yes, do you know if it is possible to have both installed on your PC at the same time?

Thanks in advance :)

Daniel Düsentrieb, 2017-06-17 19:12:43 +01:00
  14. And another question. In the repetier firmware, there is an option to control the extruder fan (the one that currently starts to run as soon as the printer is connected to power).

Does anyone know, if on this version of the Melzi board, this fan can be controlled by firmware or is just hardwired to 12V?
    When I look at the board with my limited electronic skills, I would believe it is possible. Next to the two plugs for the two fans are two identical capacitor-transitor-thingy-areas, so might those be for controlling the two fans?
    The Reprap-page describing the Melzi board does not seem to have the latest version with the extra socket for the extruder fan:
    http://reprap.org/wiki/Melzi#Melzi_Version_2.0

I would like the option that the extruder fan only runs when hotend temperature is for example above 50°, so that the printer is completely quiet when powered up but not in action.

Daniel Düsentrieb, 2017-06-17 19:34:19 +01:00
    Attached files : extrudercooler.JPG

15. Hi Tim, Hi Daniel

You have right, I was wrong.

I forgot that GT2 pulleys on X and Y have 16 teeth.

So, when I know that I need 100 steps per 1 mm, I can answer my first question about microstepping.

Steps per mm = ((360/Motor step size)*(1/driver microstepping))/(belt pitch  * tooth count)

100 = ((360/1,8) * (1/(1/16)))/(2 * 16)
    100 = (200 * 16)/32
    So, microstepping is 1/16.

Best Regards, Romeo
    Romeo Kalebic, 2017-06-18 11:02:48 +01:00
  16. Tim Morris
    Tim Morris Member
    Daniel,
    I used Arduino 1.0.6. I don't know if there is a way to use the later version, or if you can have both versions running.

The Melzi board has the extruder cooling fan wired permanently to 12v.

regards
    Tim Morris, 2017-06-18 16:53:13 +01:00
  17. Ok, just had some time to try firmware upload. Seems to have worked perfectly.
    I did not run a print yet, but moving the printer manually works alright and heatbed is activated now in Repetier Host.
    I used Arduino 1.0.6 https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases#1.0.x
    (had to uninstall newer version first) and the configuration.h from Tim.
    For everyone else who wants to try, I followed the instructions in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8H-grm5rlE

Other than in the video, in the menu under "tools --> board", the Melzi showed up directly, not some Sanguino.
    Daniel Düsentrieb, 2017-06-20 21:10:07 +01:00
  18. So, after playing around with my heated bed and firmware,

has anyone successfully installed and activated a heated bed yet?

Here is where I stand now and which problem I still have:

I successfully changed and flashed Repetier firmware onto the Melzi board.
    I used the configuration.h Tim uploaded here with a slight modification (changed temperature sensor type for the heated bed).

I have mechanically installed a heated bed (Mk2b 120mm x 120mm) on my Startt.
    Connected to a constant 12V-power supply, it heats up quite quickly and draws about 3A of current.
    That is roughly the same current as the extruder heater cartridge draws, so it should be no problem for the heatbed-MOSFET on the board.

So now, with updated firmware, in repetier host, when I connect it to the printer, the heatbed option does not disappear and the correct heatbed temperature is shown on the printer display as well as in Repetier.
    Also it changes when I heat up the bed externally, for example by laying my hand on the bed for a few seconds.

When I activate the heatbed, the printer-display changes from 0% to 100% heating power for the bed, in the same way it does when I activate the extruder heating, the same shows in Repetier Host.

Extruder heating at 100%:

Heated bed heating at 100%:

Here is a screenshot from RH. At 1., I switched on the heatbed, at 2. the extruder heater.
    As you can see, the hotend really heats up, the bed does not:

When I measure the voltage at the heatbed-terminal on the board, there is none, I get 0V when it should be 12V.
    As said before, the bed itself works perfectly when connected to an external 12V-power supply.

I checked the firmware files for entries that might have to do with this.

In configuration.h, the board type is set to #63, which in pins.h corresponds to the Melzi:

excerpt from configuration.h:

#define NUM_EXTRUDER 1
    #define MOTHERBOARD 63
    #include "pins.h"

#define HAVE_HEATED_BED 1
    #define HEATED_BED_MAX_TEMP 110
    #define SKIP_M190_IF_WITHIN 3
    #define HEATED_BED_SENSOR_TYPE 1
    #define HEATED_BED_SENSOR_PIN TEMP_1_PIN
    #define HEATED_BED_HEATER_PIN HEATER_1_PIN
    #define HEATED_BED_SET_INTERVAL 5000
    #define HEATED_BED_HEAT_MANAGER 1
    #define HEATED_BED_PID_INTEGRAL_DRIVE_MAX 255
    #define HEATED_BED_PID_INTEGRAL_DRIVE_MIN 80
    #define HEATED_BED_PID_PGAIN_OR_DEAD_TIME 196
    #define HEATED_BED_PID_IGAIN 33
    #define HEATED_BED_PID_DGAIN 290
    #define HEATED_BED_PID_MAX 255
    #define HEATED_BED_DECOUPLE_TEST_PERIOD 300000
    #define MIN_EXTRUDER_TEMP 150
    #define MAXTEMP 260
    #define MIN_DEFECT_TEMPERATURE -10
    #define MAX_DEFECT_TEMPERATURE 290

excerpt from pins.h:

/****************************************************************************************
    * Melzi pin assignment
    ****************************************************************************************/
    #if MOTHERBOARD == 63
    #define KNOWN_BOARD 1
    #
    // (extruder)
    #define HEATER_0_PIN 13
    #define HEATER_2_PIN -1
    // bed (change to 12 for breakout pin on header)
    #define HEATER_1_PIN 10

As I have read in another forum, Pin10 should be correct for the Melzi, so I have run out of ideas right now.

Hints, anyone?

Daniel Düsentrieb, 2017-06-24 22:28:59 +01:00
  19. Tim Morris
    Tim Morris Member
    Change it to pin 12 in configuration.h

#define HEATED_BED_HEATER_PIN 12
    Tim Morris, 2017-06-24 23:30:47 +01:00
  20. Hey Tim,

THANK YOU!
    That worked. I now have a functioning heatbed. cool
    With the bottom insulated and the stock power supply, it heats up to slightly over 105°C.
    Although, as long as I use the stock PS that is rated at 5A, I will change the firmware settings to limit heatbed power to 60% or so.
    Maybe I will measure this some day, but I think when both are running at 100%, the bed and hotend together probably draw more than 6A.

Also, I think I found a good way to mount the heatbed, I could post some pictures in the next few days, if anyone is interested.
    Daniel Düsentrieb, 2017-06-25 20:49:57 +01:00
  21. Page 1 / 3

(You must log in or sign up to post here)

Write your reason

Terms & Conditions!
Help!